I am often looking on the web for neat ideas to try and sometimes I even look through pinterest for ideas. There have been many times where I have seen a “green” way of making a wasp trap. I like the idea of this as it would be like a set it and forget it type thing and I would not have to seek out nests and spray with a bunch of chemicals.
In my readings I discovered that there are two kinds of bait to use when trapping wasps. There is the protein bait which is to be used in the Fall and heading into Winter, then there is the sweet bait to be used in the Spring and Summer months.
The protein type baits can be meat and the sweet bait can be fruit juices and fruit chunks, some have used vinegar and sugar or even sugar water.
To build one you can use a 2 litre plastic drink bottle and you cut the top off and flip it making like a funnel into the rest of the container. Drop your bait in there and let it catch all the nasty pesky wasps.
I have tried this twice, once in the Fall and now in the Summer and I can tell you that for me both times I was trying to catch yellow jackets and red wasps and it did not work either time I tried it.
Here is a short video to show you.
So if you have had better luck, or can show me what I am doing wrong, please leave a comment below on this page or in the comments on the youtube video.
I am always staying busy being creative and for the longest time I have wanted to enclose my LED tv in my bedroom into a picture frame. I have been hesitant to do it because I thought it was too difficult, but today I decided to just do it and I did. This is how I did it.
First I went to the local home depot and picked out some wall trim that I liked. I chose a vinyl trim casing that was 8 foot long and it was about $13.00. I got 2 of them.
I also purchased a 12 foot long 1×4 pine board, some recessed cable plates, and a french cleat.
A french cleat is hard to explain so here is a picture. It is a nice way to hang things.
This is what the wall inserts look like:
This is how they look in the wall after I rerouted my wiring.
I am getting ahead of myself a little but in this article but what I did was hold the frame up against the wall and inside the frame I marked where I wanted to cut the hole out. Using the provided template that came with the outlet box, I drew it out on the wall and used a dremel with a drywall cutting drill bit that lets you cut sideways and I cut the square out.
I did this same thing a lot lower in the wall behind the dresser for the power to go up the wall to the frame.
Now back to making the frame.
I first measured the outside length and width of the tv as it lay face down on a piece of foam.
Next I cut the 1×4 pine board to create a box around the tv using a brad nail gun powered by air.
After that I used a miter box to cut 45 degree angles into the pieces that will become the frame.
I carefully measured for the frame cuts. I wanted to cover the tv’s silver edge, but not the buttons and remote sensor, so I measured carefully, did some figuring and decided to come in about 3/8 of an inch all around the tv. I built the frame and stapled the seam with a staple gun. This was the only way at the time for me to connect the pieces.
It looked like this. I didn’t get a good picture at the time. Sorry about that.
After that I had to position the box and frame carefully as the tv was bigger on the bottom than the top, so this meant that the box would not line up with the square in the frame. Again hard to explain, but basically you have to do some math and measuring and configure the frame atop the box in the precise location to where the tv will look its best and no infrared sensors or other touch buttons will be affected by the frame, then proceed to nail it to the box. You can cover the nail heads later with putty or just pain right over them.
Drill some holes in the top for ventilation. These tvs can put off some heat and after all this work, you dont want to burn up your precious tv!
I put some big 3/4 holes in the top since heat rises, and smaller holes at the bottom which serves at dual purpose. More ventilation, as heat rises, it will also pull air up into the box, and for sound to escape as the speakers are on the bottom of the tv.
You will also see the French Cleat installed in the above picture.
Here is the other half of the cleat mounted to the wall.
Here is the frame unpainted mounted on the wall. Very easy.
Now to paint it. I chose a leather brown and let some of the white shine through in spots.
Here it is all finished.
Total cost of this project:
2 eight foot white casing boards = $25.12
1 one by four pine board = $7.18
2 wall passthru plates = $8.00
1 French Cleat = $15.00
1 can spray paint = $4.00